Sunday, April 25, 2010

Vegetables in pots

Well, it's hit and miss in my garden at the moment. A healthy crop of beans and lettuces were destroyed by heavy rain, and the leaf eating grasshoppers continue to wreak havoc (hey, it's autumn, guys. Time for you to leave). I am still getting used to gardening in Brisbane and have realised the sun's arc is really different to Melbourne (I'm a quick learner, not!). So, I've planted out a vegetable pot garden on our driveway in order to make the most of the available light.




All is well so far - I have two healthy zucchinis, a happy curry leaf tree, mixed lettuces and rocket, and very happy coriander. A rogue eggplant has also come up. I don't think it will survive the winter, but I'm going to let it go and see what happens. So far, the possums have stayed away from everything except the parsley. I have been dressing the vegies with blood and bone; being herbivores, our possum buddies don't like the smell. Looking forward to my first zucchini harvest this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment